There’s no room for complacency during wildfires. Embers carried by strong winds can reach your home well before the fires do, which is why most building codes require homeowners to install fire-resistant shingles.
Fire Rating Classifications
Here’s an overview of the fire ratings:
- Class A – Class A shingles, which have the highest fire resistance and are the least flammable, would naturally be the best choice for homes in fire-prone areas.
- Class B – Class B shingles are able to withstand moderate fires with a maximum flame spread of 8 feet.
- Class C – Class C shingles provide minimal protection against fires. Untreated wood shakes and shingles usually have a Class C fire rating.
- Unrated – Avoid purchasing unrated shingles. The absence of a fire rating suggests the shingles didn’t meet the requirements for a Class C fire rating, the rating with the least fire resistance.
If you’re not sure which rating your roof has, you can consult a local roof repair contractor.
Popular Fire-Resistant Roofing Materials
To help you narrow down your roofing options, here’s an overview of the most popular fire-resistant roofing materials:
- Asphalt shingles – There are several reasons why asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing material in North America. Class-A asphalt shingles are durable, affordable, and can withstand exposure to fire for two hours.
- Metal roofing panels – Metal roofing panels have exceptional durability and fire resistance, but the type of underlayment installed can lower a metal roofing system’s fire rating.
- Clay tiles – Clay tiles are naturally resistant to heat, but their significant weight load means they’re not suitable for all homes.
To learn more about your roofing options, consult a professional contractor. In general, it’s best to consult local contractors. Since they’re more familiar with the local climate and building codes, they can make better recommendations for you. Not to mention they’ll be able to respond quickly to your roofing emergency in case you need 24 Hr emergency roof repair services.
Looking for roofers near you?
US Roofing has been providing a wide range of exterior services, including roof replacement and roof snow removal services, to local residents since 1977. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (978) 532 6300 or fill out this form. Talk to us today!